Neill Dunne is standing in Shevington Ward as a Trade Unionists and Socialist Coalition (TUSC) candidate
We asked all local election candidates to provide us with a personal statement of up to 500 words by 17/04/2016. Here’s Neill Dunne’s:
I am running for TUSC (Trade Unionists and Socialist Coalition) in this upcoming election because the ordinary working class people, the poor and the vulnerable should not be punished for a crisis they simply didn’t cause.
This Tory government, with help from the Labour Party councils, have decided that the poorest can shoulder the burden of cuts, while the richest in society get away with it.
TUSC candidates highlight the need for a government willing to fix this rotten and broken system we now find ourselves in. No other party is campaign against cuts, which are not necessary, and even Labour under Jeremy Corbyn is still failing to prove a worthy opposition.
The welfare state was created to drag us out of the bombed out towns and into a system with nationalised transport systems, a national healthcare and a welfare system to provide for the needs of all. However, 30 years later we saw Thatcher absolutely rip up the country and industry, even after the country had seen its best debt figures for centuries. They, like Tories and Labour today, have turned their backs on the 99% and the people whom they represent and put this country back years in terms of progress.
This is why TUSC is the best solution to help get us out of this mess, and the only alternative to austerity
What all TUSC councillors will do:
- Oppose ALL cuts to council jobs, services, pay and conditions
- Refuse to implement the Bedroom Tax or the new attacks on housing benefit-cuts related arrears. Withdraw all court proceedings and eviction orders and call on housing associations to do the same.
- Support all workers’ struggles against the cuts, forcing ordinary people to pay for the crisis caused by the bankers and bosses.
- Reject increases in council tax, rent and service charges to pay for government cuts.
- Vote against the privatisation of council jobs and services, or the transfer of council services to ‘social enterprises’ or ‘arms length’ management, which is the first step towards privatisation.
- Oppose racism and fascism and stand up for equality for all.
- Campaign for TUC’s policy for a £10 an hour minimum wage for everyone.
- Say no to academies. We stand for free education for all.
Personally, I will fight to get local kids to register with a local dentist (Knowsley has the WORST child-dentist registration rate in the county), liaising with the local dentists and schools. I am appalled that the A-level courses have been dismantled in most Knowsley six-forms and colleges. I will help fight to see them return.
I’ll be available at all times, show a transparency and dedication to the Tower Hill people that labour simply do not provide.
If you share our optimism that TUSC can provide a clear alternative and/or you would like to hear more, then PLEASE, VOTE FOR ME on May 5th or contact me on 07549788822 to discuss.
TUSC candidate for Shevington Ward.